Critters SealCastle
    Critters: Lunch

About Button Harry Button Widget ButtonGleep ButtonNibbler Button
Blog ButtonMultiple Button Videos Button Goober Button Lunch Button

Home Button
Brian Button
Lori Button
Critters Button
News ButtonBlog ButtonPhotos Button
Links Button
FAQ Button
Site Credits B utton
Site Map Button
E-mail Button
All contents © 2011
by Brian and
Lori Ann Curley

Lunch IconPrincess Lunch Beast Curley
Born: April 15, 1991
Died: January 5, 2006 (lung cancer)

    We adopted Lunch in June 1991, when Brian and I moved into our first apartment together one month before we were married. We determined that Goober needed a playmate to keep her company all day while we were at work. Lunch was about two months old at the time we bought her from a pet store. [Now we know better and only adopt from shelters.] When the employee put her in Brian's hands, she walked up his arm and sniffed and purred in his ear. She had the softest fur and the loudest purr. She was a "Daddy's Girl" and would purr loudest when he was in the room or when she was on his lap, which was often. Brian named her Lunch after a scene in the movie A Fish Called Wanda, in which Kevin Kline says, "What do you call this fish? I think I'll call it lunch. Hello, Lunch!" (and then he gulps down the fish).
    Lunch loved to sleep with us on cold winter nights. She would paw at me as I slept (on my stomach), and without waking, I would lift my arm. She'd tuck in, and in the morning I'd awake to a face full of fur sharing the pillow with me. I loved it. One morning, Brian drowsily said, "I think our next door neighbor needs to have the muffler on his truck worked on; it's rumbling so loud!" I told Brian to open his eyes because Lunch was between us and purring loud enough to wake him up.
    At the end of December 2005, Lunch suddenly had trouble breathing. We rushed her to the Emergency Clinic for Animals where she spent the night. She was diagnosed with lung cancer after the worst week of our lives, which Lunch spent in and out of our vet's office and the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Veterinary Medicine. The vets all tried very hard to save Lunch, but in the end we had to make the hard decision to send her to the Rainbow Bridge. Brian and I had her in our family for all but two months of her nearly fifteen-year life, and we miss her every day.
    When I cleaned out my home office in 2009, going through over thirty years of "stuff" to file, I actually found the receipt from when we purchased Lunch. Yes, I put the receipt in a file to keep still because she always will be in our hearts.
    Dwarf Nickname: Bashful
    Click here for more photos of Lunch.